Ashburn Communities Health & Fitness Religion Things to Do & See Business Websites Ashburn History Apartments & Homes for Rent Advertise on AshburnWeb Ashburn, Loudoun, VA, & US government representatives Homes for Sale Public & Private Schools AshburnWeb Table of Contents Clubs & Organizations Parks & Trails Shopping Centers The Ashburn Gift Shop Preschool & Daycare Maps of Ashburn Transportation AshburnWeb HELP! Dining, Restaurants, Grocery & Convenience Stores Doctors, Dentists, etc. Public & Private Utilities Electronic Postcards Items for Sale Search and the Internet News, Sports, Comics, Games & more What's New on AshburnWeb
Margeret Mercer

on AshburnWeb

the ONLINE guide to Ashburn, VA
  Photo of former Ashburn Elementary School

The History Section Menu : Click a phrase to jump to that Subject
Ashburn History Belmont Chapel Belmont Plantation Communities
Janelia Farm Margaret Mercer School History Stone Bridge

The Ashburn area has had a number of schools from the 1800s onward. Black and white children generally attended separate schools until the 1960s. Black children were educated in the building in the photo at left from 1892 until 1960. It is Ashburn's oldest surviving school building and is located just north of Oldtown Ashburn, near Greater Zion Baptist Church.

A public school for whites, pictured at right circa early 1940s, was built in 1911. The four-room wood frame schoolhouse initially cost $6,000. Additions to the original structure were made in 1922, 1930, and 1934. The school, known as Ashburn High School, served both elementary and high school students until February 14, 1944 when the entire building was destroyed by fire.

A 12-classroom elementary-only brick replacement for burned-down Ashburn High was constructed in 1945. Major kitchen renovations were completed in 1959 and a library, audio-visual room and gym were added in 1972. The school, pictured in the photo at the top of this page, continued to serve as Ashburn Elementary through 1992, when the new Ashburn Elementary opened in Ashburn Village.

The old school is now known as the Ashburn Annex (Staff Training Center). It is located on Partlow Rd in Oldtown Ashburn, near Cedar Lane Elementary. High school students were bussed to Leesburg High School until many years later, when Broad Run High opened.

Other Early Ashburn-area Schools

In 1849, when the community was still known as Farmwell, Dr. and Mrs. George Lee deeded 4 1/4 acres for a Methodist Church and school at the "five forks". Five Forks was where Waxpool Rd, Shellhorn Rd, Frying Pan Rd, Ox Rd (Ashburn Rd), and Ryan Rd intersected. The deed is the oldest on record of a public school in Loudoun County.

By 1853, a combined church and "schoolhouse for the education of all the children of white parents residing within three miles of said schoolhouse without regard to the religious persuasion of said children or of their parents" had been built on the site.

Another schoolhouse, named Mt. Hope after its affiliated church, was built in 1877 in the village of Waxpool. It operated as a school until 1933 and thereafter as a dance hall until it burned down in the 1950s. In addition, John Shyrock built a two-room school in the village of Ryan in 1892 that operated until 1934.

Home Page || Marketplace | Search | Diversions | What's New? || HELP!
Areas | Business | Civics | Clubs | Daycare | Food | Health | History | Homes | Leisure
Maps | Medical | Religion | Rentals | Schools | Shopping | Transportation | Utilities
Activities | Advertise | Contents | Giftshop | Postcards

© 1996 - 2009 NetArtifex llc. Contact WebMaster or view Legal Info.